Wednesday 8 June 2016

Nigella

     Nigella, also called Love-in-a-Mist, is a pretty annual flower that grows to about 18 to 24 inches high and has airy looking foliage. It self seeds itself readily, so if you don't want hundreds of seedlings, take care to cut off the some of the seed pods, especially if they hang over a path where you do not want them to grow. This will also keep it blooming for a longer time. They prefer full sun but will also do okay with part shade and are not picky about soil. Some people dry the seed pods and use them in flower arrangements. They come in shades of blue, purple, white and pink, in singles and doubles and everything in between. This is the first year I've ever seen pink growing among mine. Here are some photos from my nigella this year.







Seed Pods

Seedlings

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love reading your comments and appreciate the time it takes you to write them. In the past I have had word verification turned off but due to the amount of spam comments, I have now turned it on. I hope it won't keep you from posting.